OracleBIBlog Search

Monday, December 29, 2008

Building Calculations in Oracle BI Pivot Tables

Recently, I ran into a situation with designing a report to appear exactly like an Excel spreadsheet that our client's finance department used for years. Using the pivot table view, I was able to mimic 90% of the Excel spreadsheet. The remaining 10% that remained incomplete was creating group subtotals and grand totals. A colleague of mine, Kevin McGinley, an individual known for his dashboard prowess, suggested creating the pivot table report by building out each row calculation using the option "New Calculated Item," which can be found by clicking on the More Options button in the column.



Following the advice of my colleague, I was able to mimic the Excel spreadsheet 100%.

To build a calculation for an item in an Oracle BI pivot table, you need to do the following:

1. In the Pages, Sections, Rows, or Columns area, click the More Options button for the measure on which you want a calculation performed.

2. Select the option New Calculated Item. The Calculated Item window appears.

3. Assign a name for the calculation in the Name field.

4. To build a formula, choose the Formula function.

  • NOTE: A formula creates a dynamic custom grouping within the pivot table. All measures references in a formula must be from the same logical column and must be present in the results. Formulas can be inserted into, or combined with, other calculations.
The mathematical operators become visible. The operators are shown in the following table.

+ Plus sign, for an addition operation in the formula.
- Minus sign, for a multiplication operation in the formula.
/ Divide by sign, for a division operation in the formula.
$ Dollar sign, for acting upon the row position of an item in a formula.
( Open parenthesis, to signify the beginning of a group operation in the formula.
) Close parenthesis, to signify the ending of a group operation in a formula.

  • In the Function field, build the formula by typing or clicking measure names, and clicking operators to insert them into the formula.
  • Use parentheses where appropriate.

5. When the calculation is complete, click Finished.

Keep in mind that this option isn't perfect. In fact, the main drawback is that each calculated row CANNOT be moved up and down the list of calculated items. If you've created 25 new calculated items and forgot to create an item that should be located at the 10th spot, then you'll have to recreate ALL of the calculated items after #10.

Another draw back that I have encountered is that if your column formulas contain calculations, those calculations may or may not work correctly. This example is more specific to the situation that I encountered and may not apply, but take notice.

The alternative to doing this is building union queries using "Combine with Similiar Request" option in Criteria. In my particular situation, union queries was not an option because there would be too many queries and performance would have suffered significantly.

1 comments:

john.tesson said...

If you would add an example it would be helpful. I can't figure out how to use this to solve my subtotaling problems.